Not only have I mended Tim's clothes, but I've sewn a baby sling (version 1...it may be too small for me to use when the baby actually comes), AND a garment bag (which I think I'll use as a temple bag).
The "temple bag" is pictured first below... I just finished it up a few days ago--stuffed and sewed the handles. I think I want to get a magnetic button to attach to the back for when I fold it in half...or maybe just add some ties. We'll see if I actually get a round to doing it...
I got the idea to make this bag after a co-worker gave me a Vera Bradley catalog that came in the mail. All of her bags are made of pre-quilted fabric. Then I googled ideas on making a basic garment bag, drew out my own plans, bought the fabric, then cut and sewed. I'm quite pleased with the results!
A "sample" baby sling is pictured below the temple bag. I'll have to take a picture of my plain one--solid blue sateen fabric without any extra padding (like this picture has). The size might fit me NOW, but I don't know if it'd work in a few months when the baby comes. :(
Maybe I'll go back to the fabric store and see what other fabrics I could use to make a bigger one... Tim wants me to test it with a watermelon, or something, BEFORE putting our baby in it.
Right: Garment bag folded in half with handles together.
I've added a little pocket on the top for easy-access to my temple recommend.
I've added a little pocket on the top for easy-access to my temple recommend.
This is an example of the baby sling I made, except mine is solid blue.
And withOUT the extra padding. Or nice, even stitches. :P
I figured this would be easier to carry around than a bulkier Baby Bjorn (which we will still probably get), and my mom's "chinese" carrier (which Tim wants to borrow from her...too much fabric and too many loose ties!).

2 comments:
Baby bjorn, definetly, I borrowed Stacy's a few times and it was great!! but your sling looks like fun too...but I think it's too bulky and fabricy...especially since you're in TX in the humid and heat!
You're amazing Julia!
Post a Comment